Tuesday, December 15, 2009

China - more food information

The following is a report on the food as communicated via email to me from King Richard!

"I think you would hate the food in Suzhou! For breakfast today, I had pot stickers, a greasy scrambled egg (from what animal, I do not know), greasy fried bread, very fatty ham, orange juice and tea. I passed on the chicken heads. I did have a Big Mac for lunch yesterday that tasted identical to ours, but I'm not a fan of McDonalds. I'm told that when we get to Shang Hai, things get better. Don't get me wrong though, I'm having a great time even with 12 hour rehearsals that are exhausting and by exhausting I mean tiring, because I have nothing to do so I sit around and try not to sleep. If I slept, I would not sleep at night. I was so tired yesterday that I didn't even go get dinner. We all can't wait for tech rehearsal to be over. We open our show to previews on Friday. After that, it's all fun!

The rehearsals are extremely arduous and long. We run the show and the stage manager stops us in place every minute to set lights. We run transitions from scene to scene to make them seamless and fast. I can't tell you how amazingly professional this all is. I've never worked with such a magnificent set and lighting. There are lights everywhere for everything! We all look good! The orchestra (band) are amazing as well. The horns, keys, drums - everyone plays several instruments it seems.

The traffic here is crazy, it's every man for himself! They barely keep to lanes and yielding is something done by the meek. It's fascinating to watch the dance between the thousands of mopeds, bicycles, pedestrians and cars. Horn honking is a form of communication as well as the message to get the f*** out of my way! The bicycles and mopeds often have children riding on the front, back wherever! They ride in the rain or whatever weather. Pedestrians are the lowest form of life and have no rights at all. You really have to watch your back when you're out walking! It's turned into quite the fun game.

Gotta run now. Time for another 12 hours..."