Thursday, January 31, 2008

New York City


Ron performing on stage from his CD >>>>>>>


Well I finally got away from some serious killer hours at work. I managed to put in 140 hours over the last 2 weeks as we installed the new show at Medieval Times here in Baltimore. I was able to take Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off and was able to go to NYC to surprise my friend Ron. Ron is a big cabaret singer and cut his own CD. His release party was in the Duplex Theatre on Christopher Street in Greenwich Village, New York. My friend Kristi, good friends from The Pit and many others celebrated Ron's big night.



Enjoying our 2 drink minimum were me, Kristi, Blake Pace and Lynn Pace. Blake and Lynn are from Maryland too. Blake plays the piano at The Flaming Pit and his wife Lynn keeps him in line. Blake and Lynn just lost their beloved family pet, Samson the week before. Many of Ron's songs touched them deeply and evoked many memories of Samson.




Kristi and I behaved like tourists. We took a bus tour of NYC. We sat in the top of the double decker bus and froze our you-know-whats off but it was all worth it. We got a great tour of the city. It was a hop-off, hop-on tour, meaning you could hop off anywhere and hop on the next bus that came around. We decided quickly to hop off the first bus as the tour guide was an asian woman that we couldn't understand one bit! The only thing we understood was that she called Madison Square Garden, Madison SCARE Garden!



The is a gigantic Ferris Wheel in the middle of the Toy 'R' Us
in Times Square. While Kristi was shopping, I decided to go for a ride! Fortunately I got the Monopoly car and got to ride with the millionaire. I was hoping for this car or the Scooby Doo car. If you check the 30 other pictures of my trip at Flickr.com, more specifically
http://flickr.com/photos/15214131@N02/ you will see that the Millionaire has something really gross coming out of his mouth!

After the performance, Ron and Michael took us to a deli back in Times Square. Hamburgers were twenty five bucks! Unbelievable! I guess they gotta pay rent somehow. Ron picked up the tab so it wasn't that bad. Thanks Ron!

The next night, Kristi and I ate at a place called Ellen's Stardust Diner. Here, all the waiters are Broadway stars in waiting. In between tables they would grab a mic and belt out a tune.

We had a really good time and I can't wait to go again. It's funny but I never really cared for New York before. Now I can't wait to go back!