Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Rant AND Rave - McDonalds

McDonalds-
Specifically the McDonalds Southern Style Chicken Sandwich, but first the RAVE.
I want to give McDonalds the RAVE for their sponsorship of the Olympic Basketball games. They sponsored the broadcast with limited interruption. Spectacular move! If you got to watch any of the games, I hope you got to watch the Gold Medal match with Spain. The American "Redeem Team" blew the Spaniards away in the first meeting and summarily destroyed most everyone else in their pool play. Then came the final match for the gold. The team that the Americans played early was not the team that showed up in the end. The Spaniards fought, clawed and scrapped their way into a close and thrilling game. Since the Olympic games to pause for commercials, I would have missed out on some incredible basketball. I'm not the greatest fan of the game itself, but this final was amazing. Since McDonalds provided a limited interrupted game, I was able to see some very exciting history made in China at these Olympics. And since McDonalds did such a fine thing, I felt obliged to return the favor and visit my local Mickey D's. I think I'll try the somewhat new Country Style Chicken Sandwich. On to the RANT...

Ick. If McDonalds hopes to compete with Chick-fil-A in the chicken business, they need to return to the drawing board or the chicken coop. I don't know what my sandwich was made of but I don't think it was chicken. While reasonably priced, my McDonalds chicken sandwich was made of pressed meat, like a McNugget sandwich if you will. Even the bun didn't compare to Chick-fil-A. The pickles were good but that's it. The Chick-fil-A sandwich is made of a chicken breast and it's apparent upon the first bite. Juicy, tasty and equally reasonably priced. In addition to taste, the Chick-fil-A packaging keeps the sandwich moist and hot. And the bun is tasty too. Over at The Compulsive Consumer website says, "The Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich is $2.75 and made from the chicken god himself. The amount of butter is usually just right and the chicken is especially juicy. The McDonald’s Southern Style Chicken Sandwich is a blatant rip-off..."
I agree. Thank you McDonalds for the great basketball games but for now, Chick-Fil-A gets my chicken money!